We are recruiting PASS Leaders for Fall/Winter 2018-2019. If you received an A/A+ in one or more of these courses you are highly encouraged to apply: CHEM 1000/1001, BIOL 1000/1001, BIOL 2040, PHYS 1800/1801 or MATH 1300/1310. We are currently still accepting applications until further notice.
PASS Leaders prepare, organize and facilitate two study sessions a week. These sessions encourage active studying behaviours and group learning to help enhance student understanding of material. To effectively plan sessions PASS leaders attend all course lectures, review relevant course material, and design activities to help the students study the material.
PASS Leaders are facilitators and not expected to re-teach material. PASS Leaders do NOT re-lecture or teach course material or solve assignments or play an evaluative role. They do NOT assist professors or TAs with marking of any kind.
To learn more about PASS see here.
This is a paid position. PASS Leaders are part of the CLAY (College Life at York) program and must qualify for a CLAY position through Student Financial Services (SFS). Please see sfs.yorku.ca for more information. You must fill in a Student Financial Profile to determine if you qualify for the position. The profile may not be accessible at the time of your application, if you are hired it is tentative on approval by SFS.
Pay rate: $14/hr; leaders work ~8-10 hours a week during the 12 weeks classes are in session.
- Current undergraduate student.
- Must have obtained an A/A+ in your assigned course.
- Must qualify for Workstudy/CLAY under the SFS rules.
Mandatory Orientation and Training:
- Attend PASS Leader Training (two 8-hour sessions) - TBD (likely held April 25th – 29th 2018).
- Attend Basic Peer Leadership Training (full day) - April 24th 2018.
- Complete all mandated health and safety, and workplace training.
- York Orientation Day (YOD) Training on August 27th 2018 (9:00 – 3:00 pm) and attend YOD (before classes start) on September 4th 2018 (10:00 – 6:00 pm).
Failure to attend any mandatory training may make you ineligible for the position. You will be given an opportunity to explain why you cannot attend during the application process and we will attempt to make reasonable accommodations, but accommodations are not guaranteed.
- Attend all lectures presented by the course director/instructor for the course you're assigned to.
- Plan and prepare your organized study sessions (approximately 2 hours per week).
- Hold two 90-minute organized study sessions per week for the course you're responsible for. While some other work may need to be completed, PASS leaders are not expected to hold study sessions during the exam period.
- Collaborate with Peer Tutors and Class Representatives within SOS to support student learning.
- Keep records of study session attendance and report on your progress as necessary.
- Attend regular program meetings with the PASS coordinator and/or Bethune College Academic Coordinator.
- Be professional, inclusive and welcoming, in your communication. You will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
What is the benefit to you?
The PASS Leader will have opportunities to develop and enhance specific skills in:
- Interpersonal Connections.
- Personal Success.
Personal and Professional Development:
As part of your work study experience, you will be asked to participate in Becoming YU – a new program designed to support students in creating meaningful goals and objectives, recognize the value of your experiences, identify the leadership and career competencies you gain through these experiences and confidently articulate your skills and experiences, whether it’s for a future job or further education opportunity. Throughout your work/study experience you will have the opportunity to meet regularly with your coach to set goals and objectives, report and reflect on your progress and get valuable feedback.
Ongoing Professional Development, Support and Reflection:
- PASS Leaders will receive support and feedback in regular meetings with the PASS Coordinator and Academic Coordinator.
- PASS Leaders will have opportunities for Advanced Peer Leadership training/courses.
- PASS Leaders will regularly provide and receive feedback on each other's sessions.
- Opportunity to enrol in Advanced Peer Leadership courses (BC3010 3.0, BC3900 0.0), and attend leadership workshops and conferences during the year.
Networking and Mentorship Opportunities:
- PASS Leaders will collaborate with Bethune Peer Tutors and Class Representatives on a regular basis.
- Opportunity to work alongside professional staff of the Office of the College Head.
- Opportunity to work with a vibrant, diverse team of York students.
- Opportunity to establish lasting relationships with student leaders from a variety of academic programs.
- Opportunity to learn about, participate, and volunteer in other York activities and
- Opportunity to serve as a role model and share experiences with new students.
- Opportunity to serve as a role model to a team of approximately 150 Bethune Peer Leaders (SOS).
Personal and Professional Development, Classroom and Workplace Competencies:
- Exposure to and experience within a professional office
- Experience developing interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and presentation skills.
- Enhanced academic success skills to complement classroom learning (e.g. improved ability to deliver classroom presentations and communicate academic ideas in a thoughtful and eloquent manner).
- Enhanced leadership and collaboration skills.
- Development of effective time and workflow management and organization skills.
- Developing the ability to identify and articulate one’s own learning, through reflections, feedback and meetings with team and supervisor (Bethune Academic Coordinator).
- Further development of independence and self‐reliance, including problem solving.
Fill in the application form here.
You will be asked to attach the documents listed below.
- A Resume/CV and Personal Statement combined into one PDF file.
- An unofficial copy of your student transcript as a PDF. Screen captures of transcript reports are acceptable. To be considered you must have achieved an A/A+ in the course you are applying for.
- You may apply for a course you are currently enrolled in but before hiring you will be asked to show proof that you have completed the course with an A/A+.
Please note - We anonymize all applications before reviewing them, to assist us in this process we ask that you remove as much personal information as possible from your documents (including your name and student number). We do not need this information in the documents themselves and it helps with our processing times. Thank you.
If you would like more information or to access this information in a different format please email the PASS Coordinator at email@example.com