We are recruiting Peer Tutors for a variety of first and second year science courses for Fall/Winter 2018-2019! If you have successfully completed any first or second year Science or Engineering courses with a minimum grade of A, and are interested in tutoring, we look forward to receiving an application from you.
Peer Tutors provide one-on-one academic support to science and engineering students in our Learning Lounge (104 LSB). Peer Tutoring is a drop-in service that any student enrolled in our supported courses can use. To learn more about Peer Tutoring see here.
This is a volunteer leadership position.
- Provide a minimum of two regularly scheduled tutoring hours per week between 2:30pm and 6:30pm, Monday to Thursday or 2:30pm to 4:30pm on Friday.
- Attend bi-weekly program meetings with the Peer Tutor Coordinator and/or Bethune College Academic Coordinator. If you miss two bi-weekly meetings you will have to attend a Time Management Workshop. If you miss three meetings you may forfeit your role.
- Communicate promptly and efficiently with the Peer Tutor Coordinator, Academic Coordinator and/or other Bethune College faculty, staff or leaders.
- Complete all necessary scheduling polls and program associated tasks assigned by the Peer Tutor Coordinator and/or the Academic Coordinator.
- Check your YorkU email frequently to ensure you are staying updated on program information
- Collaborate with PASS Leaders and Class Representatives within SOS to support student learning.
- Be an active member of SOS and contribute to our overall mission of enhancing student engagement and academic success. You are expected to attend at least one SOS event per semester outside of your tutoring hours and help with advertising SOS services.
- Be professional, inclusive and welcoming, in your communication. You will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Attend the annual SOS Retreat in early May 2019 (date to be announced).
- Attend York Orientation Day (YOD) Training on August 27th (9am-3pm)
- Attend YOD on September 4, 2018 (10am-6pm).
- Attend Basic Peer Leadership (BPL) Training in September (date to be announced)
- Attend Peer Tutor Training (date and time to be announced). Note: If you have previously completed BPL you must still attend the Peer Tutor Training.
- Complete all mandated health and safety, and workplace training.
Failure to attend any mandatory training may make you ineligible for the position. You will be given an opportunity to explain why you cannot during the application process but accommodations are not guaranteed.
Applications are submitted online and due by August 5th at 8pm.
- Interviews will be held Friday, August 10th from 11am - 1pm, Saturday, August 11th from 10am - 3pm, and Sunday, August 12th from 10am - 3pm
- You will be asked to upload the documents listed below. Please remove as much personal information as possible, including your name, and student number. We do not need this identifying information in the documents and it helps with our processing times.
- A Resume/CV and Personal Statement combined into one PDF file.
- An unofficial copy of your student transcript as a PDF. Screen captures of transcript reports are acceptable. To be considered you must have achieved an A/A+ in the course you are applying for.
If you would like more information or to access this information in a different format please email the Peer Tutoring Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest. Once you're ready, apply here. Applications are due on August 5th by 8pm.