A peer-based, Bethune College resource that provides a multifaceted and comprehensive service to promote student engagement, development, and success during their transitional, middle, and upper years, while empowering Peer Leaders to become agents of positive change.
Peer-based, Bethune College tutoring service that provides free drop-in academic support for core science courses, allowing students to better grasp course material by strengthening their fundamental subject-concepts.
- Cultivate and refine Peer Tutors’ consultation-specific communication skills to convey fundamental course concepts.
- Improve academic performance of students utilizing the service.
Peer-based, course-specific, Bethune College academic service, in which Class Representatives facilitate communication between professors and their students, and organize study groups to enhance the classroom learning experience and improve student performance.
- Empower Class Representatives as agents of positive change in the classroom by providing hands-on peer leadership experience.
- Promote communication between professors and students, and students and their peers
- Facilitate study group formation.
A Bethune College peer-based mentoring service to assist first-year students in making a successful transition to university life. Peer Mentors foster positive individual growth as well as a welcoming integration into the York University community. Peer Mentors also provide peer advising to students in all years, and organize public seminars throughout the year.
- Ease the transition of incoming first year students to all aspects of university life
- Empower students to optimally utilize all the services and resources offered by Bethune College and York University to improve academic, social, and personal aspects of student life in present and future endeavours.
- Develop effective mentoring capacity through collaborative interaction between Peer Mentors and mentees.
- Provide Peer Mentors with a unique opportunity to develop interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills in a leadership position.
A course-specific Bethune College service that increases academic performance and student retention and enhances first- and second-year student experience through peer-assisted group study sessions.
- Encourage the development of independent, enthusiastic, self-motivated peer leaders, capable of organizing and facilitating group study sessions.
- Provide students with learning skills and study habits that will help them succeed academically in a group-based learning environment.
A student-based, Bethune College ambassadorship program that educates the external community about the Faculty of Science at York University.
- Create an open environment that facilitates communication between prospective students and York University Science programs
- Provide information regarding the application process, various academic programs, and support services available at Bethune College and York University
- Share personal York student experience with prospective students and advocate the benefits of attending York University