We are not currently recruiting Peer Mentors. Please check back on this page later for any updates!
If you have had positive experiences at York and would like to help shape the experience of our new students then this is the role for you!
This is a volunteer position.
If you would like more information or to access this information in a different format please email the Peer Mentor Coordinators at email@example.com.
We are not currently accepting applications.
You will be asked to attach the documents listed below.
- A Resume/CV and Personal Statement combined into one PDF file.
- Your personal statement should address why you would like to be a Peer Mentor and what strengths you bring to the role.
Please note - We anonymize all applications before reviewing them, to assist us in this process we ask that you remove as much personal information as possible from your documents (including your name and student number). We do not need this information in the documents themselves and it helps with our processing times. Thank you!
- Staff Office Hours (2-4 hours/week).
- Attend monthly meetings with the Peer Mentor Coordinators.
- Communicate with first year mentee groups. This includes sending out regular emails to your mentee groups based on meeting minutes provided to you by the Peer Mentor Coordinators. This also includes answering mentee questions via email or in person.
- All Peer Mentors must be able to attend York Orientation Day (YOD) September 3rd, 2019.
- Research, prepare and present a minimum of 1 seminar per academic year and attend a follow-up feedback session.
- Assist with SOS events such as recruitment, socials and SOS open house.
- Attend York Orientation Day Training - August 26 (9:00-2:00)
- Attend Peer Mentor Training, August 27, 2019 (time TBD).
Note: If you have previously completed BPL you must still attend the Peer Tutor Training.
- Attend York Orientation Day - September 3 (10:00-6:00)
- Attend Basic Peer Leadership (BPL) Training (scheduled mid to late September).
- Complete all mandated health and safety, and workplace training.
- Attend the annual SOS Retreat in early May 2020 (date to be announced).
Failure to attend any mandatory training may make you ineligible for the position. You will be given an opportunity to explain why you cannot during the application process but accommodations are not guaranteed.