Problems with a specific course? First try the Course Instructor- office hours are best. Are there tutorials or a drop-in help room (eg. Study Hall, Math Help)? Utilize them. Form study groups with others in the course. Need a tutor? SOS Peer Tutors offer free help. If you want your own personal paid tutor check out the centralized Study Hub. Is writing lab reports or essays a challenge? Contact the Bethune Writing Centre or the LAPS Writing Centre.
Problems getting into a course? Check out the Course Contact Directory.
Problems with your major? Talk to a faculty member you trust; go to more senior students in your major; go to the departmental office to talk to the staff (they know a lot) or ask for an appointment with the undergraduate programme director. They may give you options you hadn't thought of:
|Chemistry||124 Chemistry Building|
|Civil Engineering||337 Bergeron|
|Electrical Engineering & Computer Science||1012M Lassonde|
|Earth & Space Sci & Engineering||102 Petrie|
|Kinesiology & Health Sci||341 Bethune|
|Mathematics & Statistics||N502 Ross|
|Mechanical Engineering||437 Bergeron|
|Natural Science||218 Bethune|
|Physics & Astronomy||128 Petrie|
|Science & Technology Studies||218 Bethune|
Problems with your degree? FSC SAS (Science programs), HH OSAS (Kine, Psyc), Lassonde (CS, Digital Media, Earth & Space, Engineering), helps with program requirements, changing majors, university regulations, petitions, etc.
|Science Academic Services||352 Lumbers|
|Lassonde Student Welcome & Support Centre||1005 Bergeron|
|Health: Office Student & Academic Services||235 Calumet|
Problems with English? Check out the ESL Open Learning Centre.
Problems Studying? The study skills required for university go beyond what is needed for high-school. Cramming just before a test doesn't cut it- you need to be proactive, and on top of it all the time. Form study groups. Attend Learning Skills Workshops, either through the Wednesday Workshops at Bethune or elsewhere on campus. Use the online academic success resources. Contact others who can help:
- SOS advice from the student point of view; a good first step for many things
- Bethune Academic Coordinator
- Learning Skills Services in Scott Library
- Study Hub Paid Tutor Registry
- SPARK guide to writing good academic papers
- Learning Commons in Scott Library
- Study Tips, Study Skills, Memory Techniques Great website!
- "How to Succeed at University ebook" (pdf)
- Academic Integrity
- Registrar-related stuff (Petitions, withdrawals, program changes, etc.)
- talk to friends, parents
- talk to your residence don
- Student Counselling, Health & Well-being (SCHW)
- Student Accessibly Services (SAS)
- Mental Health & Wellness
- Centre for Sexual Violence Response, Support & Education
- Sexual Assault Survivors' Support Line
- Understanding Consent
- Security and Safety info
- Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Career Education and Development
- York International
- Centre for Human Rights
- Community & Legal Aid Services Programme (CLASP)
- Osgoode Mediation Clinic
- anonymous helpline Good2Talk
When All Else Fails
Come to see the me (the College Head); I'm here to help.