We are currently recruiting volunteer Peer Mentors for Fall/Winter 2020-21!
If you have had positive experiences at York and would like to help shape the experience of our new students then this is the role for you!
If you would like more information or to access this information in a different format please email the Peer Mentor Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for application is noon on Monday, March 16th, 2020.
After the application deadline, you may be contacted for an in-person interview.
You will be asked to attach the documents listed below.
- A Resume/CV and Personal Statement combined into one PDF file.
- Your personal statement should address why you would like to be a Peer Mentor and what strengths you bring to the role.
Please note - We anonymize all applications before reviewing them, to assist us in this process we ask that you remove as much personal information as possible from your documents (including your name and student number). We do not need this information in the documents themselves and it helps with our processing times. Thank you!
- Fulfill Peer Mentor Office Hours (2hours/week).
- Attend monthly meetings with the Peer Mentor Coordinator
- Communicate with first year mentee groups. This includes sending out regular emails to your mentee groups based on meeting minutes provided to you by the Peer Mentor Coordinator. This also includes answering mentee questions via email or in person.
- All Peer Mentors must be able to attend York Orientation Day (YOD).
- Research, prepare and present a minimum of 1 seminar per academic year and attend a peer feedback session.
- Assist with SOS events such as recruitment, socials and SOS open house.
- Attend York Orientation Day Training (August 31, 2020)
- Attend Peer Mentor Training (September 1, 2020)
Note: If you have previously completed BPL you must still attend the Peer Mentor Training.
- Attend York Orientation Day (September 8, 2020)
- Attend Basic Peer Leadership (BPL) Training (typically mid- to late-September)
- SafeTALK training (Offered by SCLD multiple times throughout the semester)
- Complete all mandated health and safety, and workplace training.
Failure to attend any mandatory training may make you ineligible for the position. You will be given an opportunity to explain why you cannot during the application process but accommodations are not guaranteed.