Applications for Fall 2021 are OPEN!
If you received an A/A+ in one or more of your first or second year Science or Engineering courses, you are strongly encouraged to apply!
PASS Leaders prepare, organize and facilitate two study sessions a week. These sessions encourage active studying behaviours and group learning to help enhance student understanding of material. To effectively plan sessions, PASS leaders attend all course lectures, review relevant course material, and design activities to help the students study the material.
PASS Leaders are facilitators and not expected to re-teach material. PASS Leaders do not re-lecture or teach course material or solve assignments or play an evaluative role. They do not assist professors or TAs with marking of any kind.
If you would like more information or to access this information in a different format please email the PASS Coordinator at email@example.com.
Applications for Fall 2021 are due noon on Monday, March 29th, 2021!
You will be asked to attach the documents listed below.
- A Resume/CV and Personal Statement combined into one PDF file.
- An unofficial copy of your student transcript as a PDF. Screen captures of transcript reports are acceptable. To be considered you must have achieved an A/A+ in the course you are applying for (or the equivalent course you took in your first year).
- You may apply for a course you are currently enrolled in but before hiring you will be asked to show proof that you have completed the course (or it's equivalent) with an A/A+.
Please note - We anonymize all applications before reviewing them, to assist us in this process we ask that you remove as much personal information as possible from your documents (including your name and student number). We do not need this information in the documents themselves and it helps with our processing times. Thank you.
- Attend all lectures presented by the course director/instructor for the course to which you're assigned (3 hours per week)
- Plan and prepare your organized study sessions (2 hours per week).
- Hold two 90-minute organized study sessions per week for the course you're responsible for. While some other work may need to be completed, PASS leaders are not expected to hold study sessions during the exam period.
- Attend sessions prepared by fellow PASS Leaders to provide feedback and suggestions.
- Keep records of student attendance and report on your progress as necessary.
- Attend regular program meetings with the PASS coordinator and/or Bethune College Academic Coordinator.
- Be professional, inclusive and welcoming.
$15/hr; leaders work 10 hours per week during the 12 weeks classes are in session.
- Current undergraduate student.
- Must have obtained an A/A+ in your assigned course (or equivalent).
Mandatory Orientation and Training
- Attend PASS Leader Training (five 3-hour sessions) - typically late-August and early September
- Attend York Orientation Day - September 3, 2021
- Attend Basic Peer Leadership Training (full day) - mid to late September
- Complete all mandated health and safety, and workplace training.
Failure to attend any mandatory training may make you ineligible for the position. You will be given an opportunity to explain why you cannot attend during the application process and we will attempt to make reasonable accommodations, but accommodations are not guaranteed.
What is the benefit to you?
The PASS Leader will have opportunities to develop and enhance specific skills in:
- Interpersonal Connections.
- Personal Success.
Personal and Professional Development
As part of your work study experience, you will be asked to participate in Becoming YU – a new program designed to support students in creating meaningful goals and objectives, recognize the value of your experiences, identify the leadership and career competencies you gain through these experiences and confidently articulate your skills and experiences, whether it’s for a future job or further education opportunity. Throughout your work/study experience you will have the opportunity to meet regularly with your coach to set goals and objectives, report and reflect on your progress and get valuable feedback.
Ongoing Professional Development, Support and Reflection
- PASS Leaders will receive support and feedback in regular meetings with the PASS Coordinator and Academic Coordinator.
- PASS Leaders will have opportunities for Advanced Peer Leadership training/courses.
- PASS Leaders will regularly provide and receive feedback on each other's sessions.
- Opportunity to enrol in Advanced Peer Leadership courses (BC3010 3.0, BC3900 0.0), and attend leadership workshops and conferences during the year.
Networking and Mentorship Opportunities
- PASS Leaders will collaborate with Bethune Peer Tutors and Class Representatives on a regular basis.
- Opportunity to work alongside professional staff of the Office of the College Head.
- Opportunity to work with a vibrant, diverse team of York students.
- Opportunity to establish lasting relationships with student leaders from a variety of academic programs.
- Opportunity to learn about, participate, and volunteer in other York activities and
- Opportunity to serve as a role model and share experiences with new students.
- Opportunity to serve as a role model to a team of approximately 150 Bethune Peer Leaders (SOS).
Personal and Professional Development, Classroom and Workplace Competencies
- Exposure to and experience within a professional office.
- Experience developing interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and presentation skills.
- Enhanced academic success skills to complement classroom learning (e.g. improved ability to deliver classroom presentations and communicate academic ideas in a thoughtful and eloquent manner).
- Enhanced leadership and collaboration skills.
- Development of effective time and workflow management and organization skills.
- Developing the ability to identify and articulate one’s own learning, through reflections, feedback and meetings with team and supervisor (Bethune Academic Coordinator).
- Further development of independence and self‐reliance, including problem solving.