We are currently recruiting volunteer Peer Tutors for Fall/Winter 2020-21!
If you have successfully completed any first or second year Science or Engineering courses with a minimum grade of A, and are interested in tutoring, we look forward to receiving an application from you.
Peer Tutoring is a Bethune College service that aims to help students in Science and/or Engineering gain an enhanced understanding of the concepts and material presented in class. Peer Tutors are volunteer, undergraduate students who have performed admirably in the courses that they tutor and aim to assist students to the best of their ability.
We are recruiting Peer Tutors for any of the following courses:
- BIOL 1000, 1001, 2020, 2021, 2040
- CHEM 1000, 1001, 2020, 2021
- EECS 1019, 1025, 1520
- MATH 1013, 1014, 1025, 1300, 1310, 1505, 1510, 1520
- PHYS 1010, 1410, 1420, 1800, 1801
If you would like more information or to access this information in a different format please email the Peer Tutor Coordinator at email@example.com
The deadline for application is noon on Monday, March 16th, 2020.
After the application deadline, you may be contacted for an in-person interview.
You will be asked to attach the documents listed below to your application:
- A Resume/CV and a Cover Letter as one combined PDF.
- An unofficial copy of your student transcript as a PDF (screenshots of transcript reports are acceptable)
- Since we anonymize all applications before reviewing them, we ask that you remove your name and student number from the top of your transcript
- You may apply for a course in which you are currently enrolled but before hiring you will be asked to show proof that you have completed the course with an A/A+
Peer Tutor Duties
- Provide a minimum of two regularly scheduled tutoring hours per week
- Your hours must be between 2:30-6:30 Monday to Thursday, or 2:30-4:30 Friday
- Attend monthly program meetings with your assigned Meeting Leader.
- Be professional, inclusive and welcoming in your communication
- Communicate promptly and efficiently with your Meeting Leader, the Peer Tutor Coordinator, and/or the Academic Coordinator
- Complete all necessary scheduling polls and program-associated tasks assigned by the Peer Tutor Coordinator and/or the Academic Coordinator
- Check your YorkU email frequently to ensure you are staying updated on program information
- Be an active member of SOS and contribute to our overall mission of enhancing student engagement and academic success
Mandatory Orientation and Training
- Attend York Orientation Day Training (August 31, 2020)
- Attend York Orientation Day (September 8, 2020)
- Attend Peer Tutor Training (typically mid- to late-September)
Note: If you have previously completed BPL you must still attend the Peer Tutor Training.
- Attend Basic Peer Leadership (BPL) Training (typically mid- to late-September)
- Complete all mandated health and safety, and workplace training.
Failure to attend any mandatory training would make you ineligible for the position. You will be given an opportunity to explain why you cannot during the application process but accommodations are not guaranteed.