The role of the Science Student Caucus (SSC) is to represent, and be the voice of, students at the Faculty of Science Council and its subcommittees. As well, two members of SSC represent Science students in York's Senate.
There are twenty undergraduate and five graduate (at least one from each graduate program) members of Caucus.
Undergraduate students registered in the Faculty of Science are eligible to be members of SSC.
Graduate students registered in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Statistics, Physics and Astronomy, and Science and Technology (one from each program) are eligible to be members of SSC.
We will be running elections in late September/early October for twenty undergraduate members of Caucus.
Here is the list of candidates.
Note: the graduate members will be selected by their graduate program.
All SSC members are part of Science Faculty Council. The Council meets every second Tuesday of the month from 3:00-4:30 pm, normally in 306 Lumbers. For Fall 2021 meetings will be virtual.
Two SSC members are selected to serve as student Senators, and thus sit on the University Senate.
SCC members also serve on Science sub-committees. These committees typically meet once per month (the regular time slot is shown in parenthesis below). Descriptions of these committees can be found in the Rules & Procedures for Council. Typically one student is on each committee, though there are exceptions. Only graduate students sit on the Graduate Education Committee.
- Academic Policy and Planning (Last Thurs of the month 9:00-10:30)
- Appeals (2 student members; Tues 10:30-12:00)
- Committee on Teaching and Learning (third Thurs of month 10-11:30am)
- Examinations and Academic Standards (one student and one alternate; Wednesdays 11:30-2:00 or 1:30-3:30 or Thursdays 1:30-3:30)
- Executive (first Tues of month 3:00-4:30)
- Graduate Education Committee (graduate students only; meeting as needed)
- Petitions (2 student members) (once a month, Wed 2:30-4:00 or Thurs 2:30-4:00)
- Research and Awards (every third Tuesday 10:00)
- Teaching and Learning (1 undergraduate and 2 graduate students; 3rd Thurs of month 1:1-2:30)
- Senate Review Tenure and Promotions (last Friday of the month 9:00-11:00)
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI; fourth Wednesday of the month, 2:30-4:00)
- Undergraduate Curriculum (2 student members) (Last Tues of month 1:30-3:00)
- Student Senators (currently one vacancy; 4th Thurs of Month, 3:00-5:00)
Undergraduate members: Ailiya Rizwan, Aleeza Qayyum, Ali Bashar, Alice Fours, Anita Khoshnik , Areeba Chaudhry, Daniel Kamel, Elana Dhaigham, Gemner Sandoval, Hassan Khan, Hila Akbari , Jessica Sinha, Julyana Al-Hussain, Rachel Duncan , Robert Cheung, Sameen Ali, Sormeh Mehrabihaghi Hamedani, Tanya Rajwani, Yashna Manek, and Yurij Kunyckyj.
Graduate members: Ellie Abdollahi (Math&Stats), Gabriella Gerzon (Biology), Olga Andriyevska (Physics), Si Jia (Molly) Hu (Chemistry), STS: TBA).
Aleeza Qayyum, Alita Gideon, Francis Calingo, Hila Akbari, Hyejung Kwon, Kavish Parikh, Rakan Omar, Robert Cheung, Romina Noormohammadi, Rushi Patel, Sarah Elnaffar, and Tanya Rajwani.